Along with price, reputation for functionality and durability are my primary concern when buying boots. Colorways are cool too, but I just wear a black boot. They will match any combination of gear.
I like my entry-level Gaerne GX-1, but they do have some flaws. They squeak insanely loud! Thanks to the advice of Tobin Miller, I solved that issue by spraying some Tusk chain lube in the ankle pivot point. That squeak is now non-existant. They are comfy, broke in quick, and have saved my feet from broken toes or ankles several times. I like their metal buckle system. I also love the wider toe box. My toes don't feel as if they are on top of each like I have experienced with cheaper boots in the past. They seem to be waterproof unless I submerge my boot for an extended period of time. For the price, (I am on an extremely limited budget) I am happy with my purchase.
I would like to try out a high end boot that is a little lighter with a memory foam liner like the Jarvis edition SG22. I like their enduro sole and how it's flat versus having a heel. I would also like to test the Sidi Crossfire 3 TA boots also, but they have a narrower toe box and Euro sizing. Those could prevent issues since I wear a size 13. 12.5 is the closest size I have seen but they may work.